Sunday 19 July 2015

Towards unknown lands. Part-3.

Where was I supposed to go?
I was supposed to hunt for a lane called, 'Love lane.' It did sound bizarre at first, the mind wandered off in all possible directions to predict what this lane was all about. After a couple of minutes of getting lost, I finally reached, Love lane. The Love Lane.

A narrow street, adorned by a plethora of Cafe(s). I strolled along the narrow stretch, looking at what each Cafe had to offer but also making sure I don't dwell longer at each Cafe for the fear of landing in each one of them. Amidst all the others, one seemed to grab my attention like a Book Fair catching the attention of an avid book lover who was looking for the same. Warm smiles from fellow solo travelers adds more beauty to the entire experience.

What caught my attention wasn't the food, the coffee, the interior design or the prices. Rather what caught my attention was something splendid in all its marvel. The entire Cafe was full of written messages from travelers who visited the place. (Note- Traveler and not Tourist. The Tourist would probably be at the typical attractions and not in an Island, at a lane that was lacking the hullabaloo and frenzy that is expected of a place that is supposed to be famous.)

A message from a traveler from Brazil, a little sketch from an artist from Spain, a much excited wish from Singapore and a one-liner from an overwhelmingly happy Indian. Yes, that's me. All this just the entrance of what was beginning to appear as some sort of paradise for me. I noticed that the tables and the chairs were laden with messages too. In green and red and black and blue. In varied font sizes and styles. I was lost. I was happily lost. As I began reading each of the messages that embellished the walls, trying to remember each of them, imagining the excitement these travelers would have experienced when they set foot into the Cafe, just like I was at that point of time, I was more than dazzled to spot the writings and sketches slithering to the ceiling of the Cafe as well.



Meanwhile the guy at the Cafe is seated in one of the tables, allowing me to complete my exploration, to let my exhilaration settle down and to be called at. And Viola! This guy full of patience is an Indian!

"I am Nasir Khan, from India. I am a Pathan." Before I could utter one word, he added, "लोग इस कैफ़े को देख्कर इतना खुश हो जाते हैं की छत पे भी लिख देते हैं!" ( People are so overwhelmed upon seeing this Cafe that they don't even spare the ceiling from their little messages.)  This was exactly what I wanted to ask him but perhaps from all the people he has had, he would probably have guessed it anyway.

This friend from India told me that people love the place both for its uniqueness and the Indian-touch that the food prepared is endowed with. Proud moment, huh? He added that he loves his work here, to be able to meet people from around the world, to share the happy moments when they converse with him. He says his boss is half Chinese, half American and only visits at times.

On noticing me still awestruck by the permutation and combination of  26 alphabets and striking sketches all around, he says, "One traveler from Russia, wrote a message 3 years ago. He visited last week and spent  a great deal of time trying to figure out where his writing lay hidden beneath the latest messages. Eventually, he did find and was ecstatic." All this while, I was smiling interminably and starting to form the idea that I too, should do what the Russian did. And with no further ado, he says, "You should come back too." Was I turning too predictable? Perhaps, I didn't mind. :)

As I finally decided to eat, yet another long conversation began.
I inquired Mr. Nasir Khan, if he had been to India recently, he said, " Two months ago, to visit my family and friends. My friends keep nagging me to get them a job here as well but I just brush it off, because staying away from family is not as easy as it seems." I smiled at how wise he was.
Lesson 2- No matter where one goes, what one experiences, what luxuries one is endowed with, home is where the heart is.

He added, "Now with the new government in India, there is some hope. Probably the financial constraints would reduce and I'll be able to visit more often. Probably the basic needs of survival are within affordable costs and I wouldn't have to work too hard." I smiled, yet again at how our beloved PM was shedding his positive approach miles away.
"Undoubtedly. Who knows? You might set up a Cafe like this of your own, back in India, and that too would be a huge hit. And probably, I would visit too", I said. This time, he smiled at the possibilities. Possibilities of being close to family, close to friends and close to everything called 'home.'

I had to wrap up and asked if I could take his photo as I would write about him and the Cafe, he stood up, brushing his hair with his fingers, smiling as sweetly as he could. Thus, ends the time at Micke's Place.



Next was Cupid Cafe, with postcards full of messages for their loved ones hanging with strings. I spent a great deal of time reading those messages as well. One message struck me.
 It said, "It's been 3 years & there is no single moment that passes by that I don't think of you. There are just too many things I wanna say to you. I miss you so much. You moved on but I just stopped moving." 
There was a shiver down my spine. I hope the person figures things out. I hope the person is happy. I hope amazing things happen to bring a smile on the person's face. 





And next, Selfie Coffee. The fuss about selfies had now reached Coffee too. A selfie is captured, a 3-D device transfers your selfie on the coffee foam and is edible. Look at your face for a couple of minutes and then drink yourself. Humorous yes, but I did try.



Love lane had so much to offer, I guess you should look out for the next post. :)
Happy Weekend!

©Deekshita Srinivas. 19th July 2015.

6 comments:

  1. You girl!!! Amazing!!! Can't wait to meet you over coffeeeeeee!!! My jaan! :* keep writing...!!!!The world is here to read!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Thank you. :) We shall meet as and when .:)

      Delete
  2. maybe the world has so much to offer or maybe u do :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is not any moment and yet again I'm speechless! ...you keep rising day by day! ..great going! ;) ♥♥♡..can't wait for the next post! :)

    ReplyDelete