Thursday 17 July 2014

"You know yourself; hence you know me." - A similar soul.

"Well, look who I ran into," crowded Coincidence.
"Please," flirted Fate, "this was meant to be." 

How many times does your heart and mind come up with this sort of conflict? Well, almost every moment for me. After a decade of lacking complete information, or let's say, lacking even the slightest memory of existence of a childhood friend, life comes up with a mood for playfulness.

It wishes to surprise you;
In all its splendor.
In readiness for a purpose.
As though, this was part of the plan;
A plan that seemed bizarre at first.
Only to magnify the cherish-able sea of events.




It was a queer evening, when I narrowed down my contacts from an overwhelmingly huge number to just a few omnipotent ones. An unexplained happiness crept in upon me. I looked at my phone, for it had the wallpaper of Sylvia Plath, 'Ah! How I love this woman,' I wondered. Her strong gaze at absolutely just nothing; seemed to signify she knew she would be disappointed sooner or later. Such literary brilliance this woman was filled it. And then, the peaceful thoughts were disturbed. The phone beeped. A strange curiosity which  wasn't experienced before. Very amateurish and yet archaic.

And then: I had the time of my life. In every word next uttered to me, I found myself. It was as if my soul had been stolen and my thinking, view-points, dislikes, likes, humor, critic and anything that was 'me' was presented to me, like how a plane-mirror reflects, no more, no less: Just the way I am.
The odd pleasures of finding a tragically-alike person in your long lost childhood friend is like that of finding the house you have lived in for your entire life at the end of a path that got you lost; dripping with agony and fear and yet, happy to the sight at the end of your path.


I sank back in my gray, plush seat and closed my eyes. How often does this happen? You don't always bump into a person just like you, in all aspects. In leaps and bounds. Maybe it is true that; Everything happens for a reason. A reason that only after a certain saturation point, you realize. The room is so silent but my mind & soul are in a thunderous rage, a positive rage that left me overwhelmingly elated.

It drives me crazy because this is magic. The split second of a transition from someone I barely knew existed to a perfectly similar version of me. We spoke about the tragedies, about the happiness, about the preciousness of life, about people using 'sunglasses' inside a dark room, about over-rated artists, about dying art and most importantly about how wonderful life was, for it knew when to surprise us with what.

All the heat and fear had purged itself. I felt surprisingly at peace. I knew I didn't have to worry. I knew there was a soul  indistinguishable from mine. I was grateful, after a very long time. No, I am grateful. I will continue to be. Sometimes, a friend is all you need. Research says that our friends are genetically linked to us. It is that spark in the gene which lets us chose our friends.

Life has been some combination of fairy-tale coincidence and some ecstatic self questioning.
But now, I am content. It doesn't matter if it was coincidence, fate, you name it. All that matters is, I had found my long lost friend. We didn't argue about anything. We didn't have to. Why? Because everything said and done was a reflection into each other's soul. We felt wise and unique as hell. Now it should have been an irony, to be similar and yet unique. But it is what it is.

Thank you, life.
Cheers to you, my long-lost-&-found friend.

9 comments:

  1. Stunned at the flow of words, Deekshu. I must say, very impressive style of writing that makes everyone wish the long lost friend were oneself. :) Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed a good one, DS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well written with a good choice of words and metaphors. Keep at it D... You'll reach your goal. As to the identity of this “friend"... Food for thought I guess. So, overall well written but can be improved in certain places slightly. Tell me what you think about my critique and shush ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "friend" was more than happy. So, yes, I'm content. As for the 'certain' places, I wanted to keep it figurative and less cheesy, if you know what I mean. :P Anyway, Thanks a lot Nish :)

      Delete
    2. Well.. I'm happy that you at least welcome critique. Less cheesy huh we'll see about that XD

      Delete
    3. And though she be but little, she is fierce. ;)

      Delete
    4. Oh really XD Time will tell

      Delete